Thursday, June 29, 2006

Technical Value #1 - Belief in SaaS

So, what about the technical value of a SaaS platform... Well, the first question I think you need to consider is does the organisation promoting the platform believe in SaaS. Clearly, Salesforce.com does.

The SaaS scene in the US is dramatically different to that in the UK. Going to San Francisco is like going to SaaS heaven. If people aren't doing it, they are talking about doing it. Having being involved in the UK scene (I'm not sure I should be calling it a 'scene') for a number of years I honestly believe that Salesforce.com has dragged the UK in to the computing 21st century. I don't see any other company doing that.

The second point may raise a few eyebrows. I just don't see how organisations can effectively promote, support and justify a traditional client-server model and SaaS model at the same time. The propositions, products, pricing, support, maintenance and delivery processes are just way to different for it to make sense to me. I get a feeling that some organisations are just offering SaaS as an option because they have been forced to. Frankly, that just doesn't convince me that their heart is in it...

No comments: